Monday, June 27, 2011

Not just another Monday.

It's Monday; a new day, with new opportunities to be taken, or perhaps the same ol' objectives to wrestle with. However receiving the word of God is something that can be done; a for sure act to act upon. So, do I sit and read the latest news on yahoo about chips being the cause of obesity? [which to no degree changes my mind about whether or not I will eat the daily minimum hand-full that I choose to eat between doing laundry and going on a walk.] Or do I open to the pages that provide life, knowledge and substance?

It's funny because as I look back over the last seven years of my life, I can distinctly remember the numerous times I turned to the book of Genesis and told myself, Self, we only got a few chapters in last time. But THIS time, we're REALLY going to sit down and read this book from cover-to-cover. 

I'll let you guess if I ever finished.

Here is the difference between then and now. In the past, I was reading the bible to finish. Now what sense does that make? You don't read the bible to finish. PAUSE, I take that last statement back. You very well could read the bible to finish; being one to read it for the history it unravels. However, from past conversations and experience had with others, more often than not, if someone decides to read the bible they are searching for something; meaning and Truth (with a capital 'T'). Once read, with the correct intentions, the word becomes your life-line; your ever-lasting water, that quenches your thirst and meets all needs for existence. Meaning, you never finish the book. And since figuring that out, my desire to read the bible is ravenous. It has turned into a book that I will never finish, but will continue to read over-and-over again; each time learning new things, each time seeing God reveal himself in a new and exciting light.

And so, it's Monday. And early this morning as I sat, drinking my juice and reading my daily devotional, I turned to the word and once again was convicted by His goodness, His love, and the personal relationship He openly wants to have with me.

Proverbs 3
Wisdom Bestows Well-Being
1 My son, do not forget my teaching,
   but keep my commands in your heart,
2 for they will prolong your life many years
   and bring you peace and prosperity. 

 3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
   bind them around your neck,
   write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Then you will win favor and a good name
   in the sight of God and man. 

 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight.
 
 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
   fear the LORD and shun evil.
8 This will bring health to your body
   and nourishment to your bones. 

 9 Honor the LORD with your wealth,
   with the firstfruits of all your crops;
10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
   and your vats will brim over with new wine. 

 11 My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline,
   and do not resent his rebuke,
12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
   as a father the son he delights in.
 
 13 Blessed are those who find wisdom,
   those who gain understanding,
14 for she is more profitable than silver
   and yields better returns than gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies;
   nothing you desire can compare with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
   in her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are pleasant ways,
   and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
   those who hold her fast will be blessed. 

 19 By wisdom the LORD laid the earth’s foundations,
   by understanding he set the heavens in place;
20 by his knowledge the watery depths were divided,
   and the clouds let drop the dew. 

 21 My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight,
   preserve sound judgment and discretion;
22 they will be life for you,
   an ornament to grace your neck.
23 Then you will go on your way in safety,
   and your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
   when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Have no fear of sudden disaster
   or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
26 for the LORD will be at your side
   and will keep your foot from being snared. 

 27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
   when it is in your power to act.
28 Do not say to your neighbor,
   “Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you”—
   when you already have it with you.
29 Do not plot harm against your neighbor,
   who lives trustfully near you.
30 Do not accuse anyone for no reason—
   when they have done you no harm. 

 31 Do not envy the violent
   or choose any of their ways. 

 32 For the LORD detests the perverse
   but takes the upright into his confidence.
33 The LORD’s curse is on the house of the wicked,
   but he blesses the home of the righteous.
34 He mocks proud mockers
   but shows favor to the humble and oppressed.
35 The wise inherit honor,
   but fools get only shame. 

In one small chapter consisting of 35 verses, He explains how to prolong your life many years, bringing you peace and prosperity. 

Doesn't peace and prosperity for the rest of your living life sound so good?

Doesn't it sounds so much better then slaving away to the demands the world has set up for you to fail? 

Doesn't it bring rest and peace to your soul? 

Doesn't rest and peace sound so good?

Because when I read His word, like that which I posted, it makes this day become less of the ol' objectives and more of what He intended our Mondays to be like; another day to glorify His name.

Lord God,

You provide us with new days, new hours, new minutes and seconds. All of which we can either use to glorify You, or to better ourselves. Lord, I pray that the actions I take to fill my days are of those that set Your name above all. That I may glorify You in all that I do. That when the troubles of this life begin to set it in, that I turn to You, rather the evil serpent (world views) who wants nothing but failure and sin from me.

You are the living water who quenches my thirst and sustains my very being. I thank You for the daily blessings that pour out in Your name through Your word. 

To God Be the Glory,

Amen.

1 comment:

Chinos :) said...

During my reading today, somethings just seem to jump off the page onto my heart. Russ would say " written on your heat" ;) I started to Finish as well, and when I let the finish go things changed. Genesis 15 (niv) 15:6 Although Abraham had been demonstrating his faith through his actions, it was his BELIEF in the lord, not in his ACTIONS.