Sunday, December 9, 2012

A shoe.

She spent the morning playing with his shoe. Distracted by laces I could sneak bites of food. Without skipping a beat or meeting my eyes she would open her mouth. I sat on the floor with her--tiny fingers pulling at knots, thinking hard.


Looking at the shoe I saw that it was wearing. Didn't we buy those yesterday? My thoughts went to the scene of Mary and Joseph by the river, Joseph asleep from exhaustion. Mary looks at his feet that have battled the ground along their journey, one yet to be complete. Battered flesh below the worn leather, she takes his sandals off.  

My child, you will have a good and decent man to raise you. A man who will give of himself before anyone else. 

Gently she washes the dirt off his soles.

A four day journey by foot.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

It would take strength to do what he did. Courage to persevere the journey to Bethlehem. Great obedience and hope to follow the path God had made for him. The story is one in the same as I look at the shoe in her hand.

The big guy is our Joesph. A good and decent man that will raise his family to know God. He will give of himself before anyone else. The proof of his selfless journey is shown in a shoe. Looking back at the table where he sits and reads, I look down at his feet; they have carried him far.


Lord,

Thank you for the man who works hard to provide and loves because he first was loved by You. Continue to mold him in Your image. Give him the strength to stand firm against the devils schemes with the belt of truth buckled around his waist, and with the breast plate of righteousness in place. Give him the words to speak Your truth. Let Your love be woven in all that he does. 

You are almighty, glorious, and powerful and it is in Your holy name that I pray.

Amen.



2 comments:

Sarah Ann said...

This is a wonderful comparison. I will take it with me in my heart as I have my own "Joseph" - Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

love that you edified your husband this way. i have been graced with a good, good man too. and this is a reminder to let him know.