Saturday, January 25, 2014

Incline your heart.

Lean toward, or bend away. Deviate your heart from one direction to another.

Make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding. Proverbs 2:2


The value of wisdom comes from hearing the words spoken by God and inclining your heart to understand the reality of why they were spoken. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The last few months have been dedicated to my understanding of God's wisdom by way of studying the book of Proverbs. That understanding was tested recently as I was faced with the loss of my long-standing domain name for this blog; taytalk.com had been the springboard for my words for others to read. Throughout the coarse of my transformation in Christ, so too did this space.

It has been over a year that I was convicted of changing my blogs name. I didn't like that it was all encompassing of me, rather than the soul Creator of my musings. On the flip-side, I wasn't sure of what steps to take for a smooth transition, let alone coming-up with a new name that didn't deviate readers eyes from the Truth.

Having your domain name unexpectedly expire and then purchased by another party in the short window of availability is one way of doing it. In shock from the swift play by another, my jaw was on the ground for a week. It had only been a few days prior that I had received an email of gratitude and praise from a long-time reader; the confirmation I had prayed for in continuing my writing.

If there is one thing I have learned in this new life, it is that God's ways are not my own, and through the grappling of what I think is best, He always trumps me with the better.

Over the course of the last few days my feet have been firmly planted at a stand-still. Through the calming of my mind so to attentively hear Him speak, and the inclining of my heart through prayer for His wisdom, a way was paved for the new path of my blog.

The word heart is used 726 times in the Bible (NASB). God and Lord are the only two words that stand above it.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit in me. Psalm 51:10

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

God is after the heart.

Mine He has. And yet, that is not without saying that my flesh holds me captive in a fallen world. But each day is new, and we are all given a choice to either incline our hearts toward Him, or not.

Incline your heart to know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth. Seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.

No comments: