Monday, January 27, 2014

The light.

The other morning I looked out my window at the eastern horizon. The sun had not yet risen and I was overjoyed by the mountains I could clearly see. The inversion has consumed the air here, leaving most days to be spent indoors; better to be slightly suffocated by four walls than by polluted air--I guess.

Each day when the sun has fully risen, light illuminates our kitchen. It's welcoming and warm, and at the same time revolting; every crumb the dog didn't find, dust balls that remind me of a free-roaming desert sage brush, dried juice that didn't get wiped-up or licked-up well enough, salt marks that have been tracked-in by the soles of winter shoes. My inadequacies as a home-maker are visibly seen when pure light reigns in and all around, highlighting the spots that had so nicely been hidden by the shadows.

For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17

Carrying on with the following hours I created a scenario of how the afternoon would be made full by enjoying time outside, nothing short of a long walk with time for a two year old to be well prepared for a nap that would follow.

Having made-it out of my robe prior to 10am, I quickly stopped at the window to get one last glance of the beauty that awaited our senses. Dumb struck I let out an audible noise of disappointment. Since the sun and all its glory had raised above the mountain peaks it had revealed the reality of that days air quality. What had seemed to be good in the shadows turned out to be a horrible lie of filth that was all together repulsing.

With the shattering of my afternoon plans I topped off my coffee and grabbed a cookie. I stood there, leaning back against the counter fixed on the haze outside my window. It was staggering to have thought I saw one thing one moment, later to find-out I was completely wrong once all of my surroundings had entered into the light.

Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. 1 Corinthians 4:5

No comments: