Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Words.

Words are what make up the noise that flow from our mouths to the ears. We speak without thinking and listen before hearing the whole story. Being silent is hard because the need to feel heard is just that...needed. We all long to feel validated and appreciated by our words. Yet, more often than not, how can words of foul nature ever be taken seriously?

I have spoken many words of filth. Lies that dug trenches, deep and dark. Words of hate and hostility, causing pain and embarrassment. I have called out the faults and fears of others for little gain and triumph. My words have cut deep into the skin of many, leaving scares to remember for a life-time.

I am sorry if you have been a person caught in the line of my fire. I didn't know anything different; being surrounded by others who do the same. In fact, the words that are spoken worldwide are more of seeking self-gain, at whatever cost, then words of love, mercy, and grace. And so how is anyone of us, any better then the next, if we are all running around in circles? Circles that are being driven by words of who said what, your wrong and I'm right, you hurt me-so I'll hurt you.

While we can't escape our words, and some must be said, I'd like to think that most conversations could be without the gossip and wasted sentences that only bring preconceived thoughts that lead to nothing but more gossip and wasted sentences.

Daily I am deceived into poor words by the one who seeks nothing but sin. I catch myself wondering why particular words came flowing so easily from my mouth; as if the Serpents tongue is my own. And then I hear the same language spoken from another, and another. At times the words from those I pass leave me shell shocked and embarrassed; remembering the time in life when I too spoke worse then now. But what words are gooder or worser then others? Speaking sin is speaking sin. Whether tied with vulgar words, lies, or gossip...all the same, all against the words in which God wants us to speak.

When I encounter words of loss I ask myself, Would I speak that way to my mother? Or more importantly, Would I speak that way to God? Those questions are continually answered with, No. And yet, the battle of good words continues; constant repentance for the sin I speak.

Our words are not meant to cast judgment on others, be spoken in vain, or boast about oneself. For only God can pass judgment, and the words we speak should glorify Him alone, not ourselves.

16 These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgment in your courts; 17 do not plot evil against each other, and do not love to swear falsely. I hate all this,” declares the LORD. Zechariah 8:16-17

In time I pray that God continues to mold my tongue into one that is best suited for His glory. One that speaks only words of truth, grace, and mercy. I want to please Him in all ways, yet I know that the unclean words that drain unknowingly do not. And it is with continued awareness of my words that I will put forth the daily effort in changing my old language, into one that is like His; loving and pure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say, that this was a joy to read. Especially being that I'm someone who personally saw/heard how harsh and hurtful your words once were. Best wishes as you continue to grow towards God.